According to a report by the Institute of Medicine (IOM), chronic pain affects more than 100 million Americans every year at a cost of over $600 billion in medication and lost productivity. Despite years of research, chronic pain treatment remains undiscovered. If you are also suffering from chronic pain, you may need comprehensive pain management consultation & treatment from a pain clinic to eliminate your pain completely.
Major causes of chronic pain:
There are various different causes of chronic pain, ranging from ongoing illness to an initial injury. Most common causes of chronic pain are:
- Low back pain
- Arthritis, especially osteoarthritis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Nerve damage (neuropathy)
However, oftentimes there isn’t always a clear cause of chronic pain, which makes it quite hard to treat it and can impose negative impacts on a patient’s lifestyle.
When do you need to consider pain management consultation & treatment?
Pain management consultation and treatment may be necessary when:
- An acute pain changes into chronic pain – A pain becomes chronic when the injury heals but you still experience the pain. Chronic pain is long-term, frequent and recurrent. It has the potential to become a lifelong disease. Before an acute pain changes itself into chronic pain, a patient must visit one of the best pain specialists of Orange County to know how to cope with chronic pain.
- A patient has undergone a pain-related situation – These situations usually include undergoing surgery or physical trauma (especially those traditional surgeries like open-heart surgery).
- Acute pain treatment no longer works – It includes those cases where pain medication has stopped providing pain relief to patients who are under a pain management program. This may be because the pain has worsened or intensified, or the treatment has lost its effectiveness on the patient’s body. Thus, it becomes crucial to meet a pain specialist and make necessary adjustments.
- Pain disturbs your daily life chores – No matter what type of chronic pain you are suffering from, they certainly make it a lot difficult to pursue daily life chores such as sleeping, going to work, doing household chores and more.
- A pain is caused by serious illness – There are a lot of diseases such as diabetes, Arthritis, cancer or more that cause chronic with varying frequency and intensity. Oftentimes, chronic pain is a symptom of the disease.
Choose the right treatment with the help of a pain specialist
Chronic pain is a serious problem that needs immediate attention especially if it makes your everyday life miserable. Given all the medications and treatments available for chronic pain, how do you know which one is right for you or makes the most sense for your problem?
Choosing the right treatment involves choosing the right pain specialist. A pain specialist is a physician that specializes in the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of various types of chronic pain. Visiting a specialist opens ways to many possible treatments and makes getting rid of chronic pain easy and possible.
If you are looking for chronic pain treatment, don’t wait and book your appointment with a pain specialist in Orange County today.